When it comes to buying jewellery, you want to make sure it's going to last as long as possible. Follow these 5 essential tips to keep your pieces looking fresh for years to come!
1. When it comes to sterling silver, constant exposure to the air will eventually cause the piece to tarnish. Tarnishing is basically when your silver starts looking a bit dull or even black in places. Storing your piece away from open air when you're not wearing it will stop it tarnishing so quickly. Wild Rose's gift boxes and pouches are perfect for this.
2. Due to everyday wear and tear, gold plated jewellery can lose it's colour over time, eventually exposing the base metal underneath. How long this will take depends purely on the individual piece. This means how thick the plating is (measured in microns) and if there are any extra special coatings on the piece. Avoid chemicals like perfume and bleach to stop the gold layer wearing away.
3. Wipe clean your jewellery after use to remove the dirt and oil build up. It is essential that you clean your pieces before storing them away. Believe me - you don't want your jewellery sitting in a box somewhere covered in sweat and dirt! This will cause a reaction and will cause the piece to tarnish and will wear away gold plating.
4. Store your pieces individually! Because who wants a bunch of necklace chains tangled together anyway? But it's true that storing different pieces together can cause tarnishing.
5. Although stainless steel doesn't tarnish, a delicate piece can still be damaged or scratched. Store your stainless jewellery away from other pieces in individual pouches or boxes to keep them looking fresh whenever you're ready to wear them!
Stainless steel and sterling silver jewellery is much more hardwearing than you think. You don't need to be super careful but just make sure you take a little extra care at the end of each day and your jewellery is sure to last for as long as you want it to.